Sausage dogs are by far the cutest dogs (well in my opnion anyway) so when my friend got me a sausge dog cookie cutter for my birthday I just couldn’t wait to make some adorable cookies. I have used the same recipe as the dinosaur cookies I made a while back because I found it worked well with using a cookie cutter and still had lots of flavour. Please make sure to send me photos if you recreate this recipe, I’d love to see all the creative designs!
Ingredients for about 30 sausage dog biscuits
175g unsalted butter, softened
200g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
275g plain flour, plus extra to dust
55g custard powder
- Cream the butter and sugar together using a standing mixer or hand whisk.
- Add the egg and custard powder and continue mixing until just combined.
- Then add the remaining ingredients and gently stir them together to form a sticky dough.
- Using your hands, bring the dough together to form a ball and wrap in cling film. Leave the dough to chill for 1 hour in the fridge.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180°C/ 355°F and line 2-3 baking trays with baking paper.
- Remove half of the chilled dough from the fridge, keeping the remaining half in the fridge to keep cool whilst you work on the rest.
- Roll out the dough to roughly 5mm thick and then using your cutters, cut out as many as you can, swapping between each half of dough until you have used it all up.
- Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 10 mins or until slightly golden in colour. Leave the biscuits to cool on a wire rack.
- Once the biscuits have fully cooled, you can ice your creations. I used chocolate flavoured icing that comes pre-mixed in little tubes, however feel free to make your own with icing sugar, water and food colouring.