It’s been a long time since I last blogged, with settling in to uni, coping with the work load and attempting to cook for myself everyday I didn’t have much time for baking. Of course I still found time to bake from time to time, but keeping up with this blog sadly wasn’t a priority. In September I move into a student house with my friends, so hopefully in a nicer kitchen I’ll have more opportunities to bake!
As it’s the summer I should be posting frequently as I have a lot of time on my hands, so starting off with a simple bake, here is a recipe for Chocolate Orange Brownies.
Ingredients for 12-18 Brownies
200g butter, chopped
200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
zest 1 large orange
4 large egg
350g caster sugar
100g plain flour
50g cocoa powder
100g milk chocolate orange, chopped
- Preheat the oven 180°C/ 160°C fan / gas 4 and line a 24 x 20cm brownie tin with baking parchment.
- Put the butter, dark chocolate and orange zest in a large pan and melt over a low heat, being careful not to boil or overheat. Leave it to cool.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar with and electric handmixer or standing mixer until the mixture is pale and almost doubles in size, leaving a trail when the whisks are lifted.
- Gently stir the melted chocolate into the mixture and then sift in the flour and cocoa powder and combine along with the chocolate orange pieces.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin and bake in the oven for 35-40 mins until the brownies are cooked but still slightly gooey in the middle. Leave them to cool in the tin before cutting them into squares.