I never really make puddings but I just had to make this self-saucing pudding from John Whaite’s book; my family and I enjoyed this after our sunday roast today. This was such an easy pudding to make but it did take a while with the setting and cooking time, but if you’ve got the time definitely give it a go! I’ve slightly adapted this recipe to serve less, so don’t be afraid to double the mixture to make a larger pudding, just bake for slightly longer.
Ingredients for pudding serves 4
175ml boiling water
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
30g unsalted butter, softened
125g dark brown muscovado sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
130g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
Ingredients for self-saucing sauce
1 tbsp cocoa powder
35g dark brown muscovado sugar
150ml boiling water
25g chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)
- Place the raisins in the boiling water with the bicarbonate of soda and allow to soak for 0 minutes.
- Cream the butter and sugar together using an electric hand mixer until fully combined. Then mix in the vanilla extract and egg and beat together well.
- Mix in the raisins and their soaking water. Then sift the flour and cocoa powder, and fold into the batter.
- Pour into a greased dish roughly 17cm round and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set. Preheat the oven to 160°C/ Gas Mark 3.
- For the sauce, mix the cocoa powder and sugar together and sprinkle evenly over the pudding.
- Mix the boiling water and Nutella together using a whisk until fully combined. Then pour on the top of the pudding.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 45 minutes until the pudding is spongy and risen. Serve warm and enjoy.